Traveling alone is slowly becoming less of a subject that everyone is afraid of. Everyone is now aware that traveling alone does not mean loneliness, on the contrary, it is one of the most ideal ways to become enriched by turning inward and discovering different worlds.
You don’t have to be very brave to travel alone. Because there is no reason for you to perform this activity with fear and hesitation. Moreover, many countries in the world are ideal for solo travel and are quite safe.
Nowadays, when the myths about solo travels are gradually disappearing, there are some things you should pay attention to in order to make your trips you plan to take alone more comfortable and safe. Let’s take a look at these suggestions that you should pay attention to, even if you are traveling with a large group.
Things to Consider When Traveling Alone
Traveling alone is a kind of art. What you need to pay attention to is not just problems specific to women. Both men and women can travel alone safely and peacefully if they pay attention to certain issues when traveling alone. This way, they can protect themselves and their belongings during their travels.
- To keep your important documents and money safe while traveling, you may consider carrying a hollow fake wallet in your bag. This fake wallet, which you will place in a more visible place, will draw thieves away from your real wallet! You should place your real wallet in a more hidden compartment of your bag.
It would be a good approach to have some limits on the cash you carry with you. First of all, you should carry as little cash as possible and you can secure your total money by dividing your cash into different parts of your bag. You should also remember to bring some money with you that you can use only in emergencies.
You should also make sure that your credit cards and debit cards are safe. To prevent your wallet from looking fat, you can leave the cards you don’t plan to use during your travels at home.
- You should try to attract as little attention as possible when traveling around cities. Dressing and acting like a tourist may also make you perceived as an easy target in some cities.
Remember that learning a few words of the local language will also help as you are trying not to be perceived as a tourist. You should especially learn basic words; Even if you eliminate the basic sentence patterns you may need, you will discover a new language and you will not feel so foreign while wandering around the city. Considering that speaking to local people in their own language can strengthen the bond between you, learning a foreign language is never wasted.
- Some cities are said to be safe at all hours of the day. On the contrary, some cities are not safe places at night. Don’t take any risks in either place and don’t go on a long walk at night, especially alone. Your priority at night should be to reach your home as soon as possible.
- It would be beneficial to get information about the cities you will travel to in advance. You should definitely use the information you collect from a reliable travel blog or blogs, the internet, the official websites of the cities you visit and the people living there, according to your own travel plan.
- Stay in constant communication with the hotel or hostel you are staying in. Be sure to ask for the hotel’s contact information when you check in and remember that you can contact the hotel in case of emergency.
You can leave information to the reception staff when you go somewhere. Similarly, you can get the most basic and important information about the city you are staying in from the reception staff.
Be sure to inform your loved ones about the place you are staying. If possible, also provide the address and contact information of your accommodation.
6. You should definitely try to join the free city tours organized in some cities. Thus, you can get information about the history and culture of the city for free and in a short time. Moreover, you can also get food and drink recommendations from the tour guides.
7. Be sure to have plans ready for emergencies. Let’s say you get sick, what can you do? Or you got lost or had something stolen. So what happens when you lose your passport? Even thinking about these may seem like problems that will cause you to have a panic attack. But it actually doesn’t have to be that way. All of these problems may have fairly easy solutions.
For emergencies, be sure to learn the emergency call numbers of your country, such as police and hospital. Don’t hesitate to ask for help from the police.
In addition, Turkish Consulates in the country will support you to solve all your problems. Especially if your passport is lost, they will quickly deliver you a document that will replace your passport.
8. You may experience a similar panic when you lose your phone or run out of battery. To avoid this, you should write down all the important numbers on your phone in a notebook.
Also, do not forget to back up your important documents, tickets, passport and photos to cloud programs before you travel and from time to time during long trips.
You should definitely buy a portable charger to solve the charging problem you experience during your travels.
- It will be very difficult to stay without internet in the internet world. Especially in big cities, you will definitely find a free way to connect to the internet with the free internet option offered by the municipality and the connections you can find in cafes. There will most likely be an internet connection where you will stay.
However, if you are going on long trips, you may want to consider getting a SIM card from your home country. Thus, you can purchase internet rights at very affordable prices and make phone calls within the country. Moreover, if you are in a European country, you can benefit from the same package throughout Europe with the SIM card you purchase.
10. If you’re traveling on a low budget, you’re probably trying to keep your expenses low.
In order to find bus tickets or flight tickets at prices that suit your budget, it is useful to buy your tickets as early as possible. If you make a flexible plan, you will be able to find tickets at much more affordable prices. You can always be informed about affordable tickets by registering to membership programs and using ticket purchasing applications to follow the campaigns of airline companies.
To be mindful of your food and beverage expenses, you may consider shopping at cheap markets in your country.
For shopping, you can choose flea markets and second-hand markets in cities. Don’t forget to bargain for the product you want!
Why Should You Travel Alone? The Beauties of Traveling Alone
- Traveling alone can be a unique opportunity to turn within yourself and discover your own personality. You can plan to go on a trip, even for a short time, to think about life and what you want. Be sure that when you return, many things will have settled on your mind and you will have prepared yourself for a busy period.
- You may not be able to find the opportunity for creativity due to the expectations of busy work life and family life. Going on a solo trip is ideal for both writing your dream articles and reading a lot. Who knows, maybe you’ll start writing the book you’ve always dreamed of during this trip.
Traveling is an excellent opportunity not only to write and read, but also to improve yourself in all areas of art. You can be inspired by listening to street artists; You can take the impressive photos you want without any rush; You can think about art and life by visiting all the art museums.
- Sometimes making plans with other people can be quite challenging, even if those people are your closest friends and family members. The freedom to plan alone is indispensable. You don’t have to compromise on anything during your travels, and you only decide what you want to do and see during your trip.
- Do you have a problem in life that makes you unhappy but you don’t know why? This may be due to saying “yes” and accepting even the things you don’t want. However, if you learn to say no, not to do things you don’t want to do, and leave your indispensable politeness at home for your solo trip, you will have taken a huge step in your personal development.
- You don’t have to become introverted and stay away from strangers on the road. If you maintain certain limits and learn to say no, you can make the best friends of your life during this trip.
- Traveling alone will increase your self-confidence over time. As it is always said, don’t forget to play a little role while gaining your self-confidence. With feet firmly on the ground, you will experience the wonderful feeling of succeeding alone with each city you explore.